APHA Elected Officials/Descriptions
The Elected Officials of this Association shall be:
- President-Elect (Elect 2020)
- Incoming President-Elect (Elect 2020)
- First Vice-President (Elect 2020)
- Second Vice-President (Elect 2020)
- Secretary (Elect 2020)
- Treasurer (Elect 2020)
- Members-at-Large, six (6) (Elect 2 positions 2020)
- Affiliate Representative to the Governing Council ARGC (formerly Representative to the American Public Health Association)
- Representative to the Arkansas State Board of Health
Go here to nominate!
View an overview of duties for each position below
- Presides over all Executive Council meetings and the Annual Meeting held during the President's term of office.
- Appoints chairpersons of committees
- Represents the Arkansas affiliate at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association
- Plan the annual calendar of meetings.
- Monitor progress of all Executive Board Members as they work toward achievement of annual objectives.
- Serves one year as President and one year as Past President
- Serves as Chairperson of the Conference Committee and coordinates duties related to the Annual Meeting
- Attend the President-Elect meeting sponsored by the American Public Health Association
- Serves one year term in office, then assumes the Presidency of the Association at the expiration of the term of the President.
Incoming President-Elect Duties:
- Serves as Assistant Chair of the Conference Committee
- Learns about coordinating the annual meeting
- Sets dates and location for the annual meeting for the next year
- Serves a one year term in office, then assumes the President-Elect office
First Vice-President Duties:
- Chairperson of the Sponsorship and Scholarship Committees
- Acts as President in absence of the President
- Represent the Association (if the President cannot attend) at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- Serves a one year term and may be reelected
Second Vice-President Duties:
- Chairperson of the Communications and Member Services Committee
- Work with the secretary to coordinate all communications with members including the website, social media, newsletter, and events and activities
- Supervise external and internal communications for the Association
- Publicize events such as APHA Convention, Awards and American Public Health Association Convention through media, mailings and APHA Update.
- Publicize all events for Committee chairpersons.
- Oversee any publications, i.e., brochures, pamphlets, etc.
- Make arrangements for photographs to be taken at the annual meeting
- Serves one year term
- Serves one year term and may be reelected
- Chairperson of the Membership Committee
- Maintains records, papers, and correspondence of the Association
- Prepares and distributes minutes
- Maintains voting status and membership lists; sends reminders for dues renewal
- Electronically submits a copy of the roster to APHA's Affiliate Affairs.
- Manages correspondence of the Association
- Serves a two year term and may be reelected
- Maintains funds of the Association
- Works with bookkeeper to provide a full and accurate account of all receipts and disbursements
- Furnishes financial statements at Executive Council meetings and at the Annual Meeting of members.
- Makes disbursements by check
- Prepares preliminary budget after receiving information from all Committees on expected expenditures and income
- Should be bonded for $5000
- Serves a two year term and may be reelected
Six Members-at-large Duties:
- Serve on the Executive Council
- May be appointed by the president to serve on specific committees according to the policies and procedures
- Serves 3 year term, with elections staggered
Affiliate Representative to APHA's Governing Council (ARGC) Duties:
- Must be a member of both the Arkansas Affiliate (APHA) and the American Public Health Association
- Serves as the contact person between the Arkansas Affiliate (APHA) and the American Public Health Association
- Disseminates information from the American Public Health Association
- Represents the Arkansas Affiliate (APHA) on the Governing Council of the American Public Health Association
- Participates in the activities of the Council of Affiliates (CoA) and maintains an ongoing communication with other ARGC's and the CoA Regional ARGC
- Serves a three year term and may be relected
Representative to the Arkansas State Board of Health Duties:
- Chosen from three candidates elected by the membership and submitted to the Governor for appointment
- Serves on the State Board of Health as a representative of the Association
- Represents Association at meetings of the Arkansas State Board of Health, voice opinions and vote on all pertinent matters
- Acts as communication link between Arkansas State Board of Health and Arkansas Public Health Association. Reports Arkansas State Board of Health activities to the Executive Council
- Elected for a four year term